The Proposal Manager is a key member of the proposal team and must be an effective team leader capable of determining the direction in which each proposal effort must go and is proficient in working with and coordinating proposal efforts with contributors from functional business units to include; business development, human resources, finance, and Operations. This position is required to fulfill all tasks inherent in the proposal life-cycle. The Proposal Manager will possess the flexibility to adjust to frequent changes in requirements and the motivation and commitment to see these efforts through. This position is located at our corporate office in Laurel, MD moving to Rockville, MD in fall 2017.
Tasks & Responsibilities:
- Works closely with business development managers to successfully coordinate and manage major proposal efforts, including identification of needed proposal team members, timeline and action planning, and management of proposal.
- Communicates effective proposal objectives, writes select proposal/pre-proposal pieces, and coordinates the internal team and partner inputs for bid efforts, and also assists in broader bid preparation and production aspects.
- Conducts strategy sessions with team members to develop win strategies and themes, identifies and assesses competitors, and develops client hot buttons; including attending win/loss debriefings and develop lessons learned.
- Creates compliance matrices; develops detailed proposal plans, schedules, and outlines/templates to control proposal development.
- Helps facilitate evolution of proposal strategy (such as competitive analysis), develops win themes and technical approach, identifies needed personnel.
- Oversees or supports final technical and cost proposal production, as well as guides proposal team through necessary unit-level and corporate bid reviews, protocols, and decisions.
- Helps ensure vital flow of communication and task management between contributors in operational and functional units involved in the proposal process.
- Performs detailed analysis of RFP requirements and has lead or supportive responsibility for coordinating select proposals (including preparation of outlines, tailored checklists, instructions, and templates).
- Edits and coordinates technical proposal sections as they develop (including managing file turnaround time) and maintains close liaison with technical staff.
- Reviews and edits submissions from partners, ensuring their input meet specified requirements and expected level of quality.
- Coordinates and prepares proposals of a smaller scope in response to requests for proposals (RFPs), requests for information (RFIs), and requests for quotes (RFQs).
- Performs substantive reviews of both text and graphics, ensures the assigned writing sections comply with RFP requirements, contain win strategies and win themes, and complies with standard format and style criteria.
- Streamlines proposal development efforts to increase win rates.
- Tracks and reports status of all proposal elements to the proposal team and the President.
Minimum Required Skills, Education, Experience & Abilities:
- Bachelor's degree in business administration; or related field of study.
- Minimum seven (7) or more years of proposal preparation, development and analysis experience.
- Minimum five (5) or more years of supervisory experience included.
- Must have a deep understanding of Federal Government procurement policies as they relate to Request for Proposals (RFPs).
- Strong presentation, written communication, technical documentation, problem solving, deadline-oriented, process improvement, organizational, and coordination skills.
- Must possess excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to interact with all levels of personnel.
- Highly Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite to include, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- The candidate will be able to balance multiple projects and be flexible with schedule to meet deadlines.